We New Yorkers have been through our share of emergency situations over the last 12 years. I watched the Twin Towers collapse from my apartment window. I made it through the blackout with twin baby girls who basically slept through the whole thing. And in 2012, when Superstorm Sandy struck, we were fortunate enough to live uptown, and came to love the huge inclines of the Upper West Side streets that I cursed when I had to push a double stroller up them day after day. It turns out being perched high up on a concrete paved hill is probably the best place to be in all of Manhattan. But, it’s also just luck since the power outages could have happened anywhere – and who wants to rely on luck when your family’s safety is on the line?
Know your zone, and know how to be prepared!
- Use NYC’s Hurricane Evacuation Zone Finder or call 311 to find out whether your home or business is located in a hurricane evacuation zone.
- Understand hurricane hazards and the steps you can take to prepare.
- Sign up for Notify NYC.
- Get the latest emergency information via text, phone, email, fax, Twitter (@NotifyNYC), BlackBerry Messenger, and instant messenger.
- Get the Ready New York Hurricane Guide: The guide contains instructions on how to develop a hurricane disaster plan and secure your home before a storm as well as a map of New York City hurricane evacuation zones.
- You can check out the SnapGuide too.
And make some thunder of your own! Participate in the Know Your Zone Thunderclap campaign! It’s super simple and a great way to let everyone know it’s important to know your zone!