You’re coming to New York City For BlogHer‘10. You know that most of your time is already taken up by all of the crazy BlogHer events but still you’re going to have some free time right? These are the iphone apps I can’t live without as a native New Yorker. They will help you make the most of your free time and maybe even look like a local (NO FOLDOUT MAPS!). Staring at your smart-phone while walking down a crowded street is your first step to fitting in…
- HOPSTOP (free) – take public transportation. And even if you think you will never set foot in a NYC Subway you may find yourself stranded without a taxi in sight, laden with swag and just tired. Hopstop will save you. It knows where you are, you tell it where you want to go – and you can even select bus only to be a true New Yorker (the buses are New Yorkers’ little secret. Super safe, AC blasting and you get a lovely tour of the city to boot) – and off you go to your destination without worry.
- EVENTBRITE EASY ENTRY – (free) You’ve got lots of BlogHer parties to keep track of and all those paperless tickets to show at the door – use the EventBrite App and see all of your events in one place without having to scramble through your email.
- OPEN TABLE -(free) Yes it’s good for lots of cities, but it’s a life saver in NYC. Find out which restaurants near you have availability, get instant options, and make your reservation. Almost anywhere you want to eat is in there.
- SEAMLESS WEB (free) – Food delivery at your fingertips. More restaurants than you can imagine. Place your order, put in your credit card, and just sign when the nice delivery man brings the food right to you. Real New Yorkers do NOT pick up food.
- CENTRAL PARK NYC ($2.99)- Even better on an ipad. Don’t even think of not going to Central Park when BlogHer is only 5 blocks away. Take a breather and go for an early morning stroll, or run if you’re one of those crazy fitness bloggers, or a gorgeous lunch break. This app makes navigating the park easy and enjoyable. Plus it’s really cool to show your kids when you get home.
- VILLAGE VOICE (free) – Tells you what to do, where to do it and why you should.
- AT THE BOOTH – ($0.99) Want to know what’s at the 1/2 price Broadway ticket booth in Times Square before you go wait in that line? The app will tell you.
- MIDTOWN IN MY POCKET – ($1.99) Best cupcakes by the Hilton? Closest Art Gallery? Manolo Blahnik? This app covers midtown (the area where the Hilton is located) by category, shows you on a map, and even lets you tag favorites and show you local deals. There’s also a SOHO in My Pocket free App if you’re heading downtown.
- WHITE NOISE – ($1.99) – We live in small 2-bedroom apartment, so we’ve always used a white noise machine in the bedrooms. Now I find it indispensible in hotel rooms world-wide, but particularly in a hotel full of partying bloggers! Especially good if you’re sharing a room with a snorer or early riser.
- FLASHLIGHT – (free) – Another great app if you’re sharing a room but you and your roomie have different bedtimes. Also works great as a booklight on the fly or (just saying) there’s a blackout!
Do you have an NYC app you can’t live without? Or a travel app that makes your life better no matter where you are? Let me know in the comments so I can add it to the list!